Memoirs of Insignificant Me

Memoirs of Insignificant Me

Friday, March 14, 2014

The higher the heel...

I, like most girls, love to wear high heels. I have mastered looking as though I can walk in them, but I am still terrified of wearing them. Every move feels like a Cirque du Soleil balancing act, especially in a 6 inch heel. Every time I slip on a pair of heels I regress to childhood and I feel like an 8 year old playing dress up in my mother's closet. I am always excited to get dolled up, but I learned at an early 22 that Converse sneakers come in plenty of colors and go great with dresses and skirts. Having been in relationships with 5'7 men that tower over 5'5 me, "Chucks" just seemed like the simple solution. I had a photo shoot in Downtown El Paso 4 years ago and my obsession of heels and photography morphed into the scariest day ever. Christian Louboutin and cobblestone streets=death wish. Now don't get me wrong, I was not slippin' and trippin' all over Mills. In fact,  I was able to fake a strut for about 5 hours. I refused to hold on to my cousin that was there to help with wardrobe  because I was surrounded by men. I needed to look like I was as poised and chic as the red sole on my foot. Long story short, the 6 inch heel just reminded me how much easier a sturdy man would have made my day. The stiletto is something I tend to stay away from because I am unapologetically afraid of heights but I recently had the chance to revisit my fear. I have always needed to celebrate my birthdays with girlfriends ever since I was the 12 year old kid throwing a slumber party... Yet Again! In fact, my last Boy/Girl party was my freshman year in high school and that was enough for me. It used to be a preference and now at my age it's just necessary. All my girlfriends refuse to stay single! They are either married, engaged or in a serious relationship. My best guy friend asked me why he wasn't invited to my 30th Birthday Dinner and my response was that he couldn't kick it because he was a boy. If I invited him I would have to let  my girls bring their men and I could not be sitting at a table full of couples and feel like the third wheel at my own birthday dinner! He then offered himself as my "Date" and promised to dote on me as well. He asked me to not be "that girl" and to accept change and my girls' new lives. I accepted the offer and told my friends to invite their significant others. I am not kidding, the first thing I thought to myself was, "I can finally wear that pair of heels that have been sitting in my closet for 3 Years!" My 30th birthday turned out to be one of the best nights ever. I was standing proudly in my six inch heels with my tall "friend-date" and I couldn't have felt more beautiful and confident. I am in no way suggesting  that men=confidence, especially when this perpetually single girl wears heels pretty often. But I am saying that there is some magic in the right pair of shoes, and the right arm to keep your balance on that makes you feel a little more girly than usual.... Cinderella had the right idea all along!



No comments:

Post a Comment